[reportlab-users] Widget Libraries, anywhere??

Oliver Bleutgen reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:27:40 +0200

Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> On Thursday 09 October 2003 22:11, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
>
>>Hmm, why not just use sourceforge or a similar service and start a
>>project called, say "reportlab-contrib"?
>

> Hmm... because it is not really designed to be a repository for lots of little
> contributions from different people all under the one project.  Unless we ran
> a CMS/Wiki etc on the reportlab-contrib.sf.net website.  But then, why sf?

Because it wouldn't need any effort to get the ball rolling.

> This is a bit off-topic, but there is a reason for this.
> From the SourceForge.net Sitewide Update (at 2 Oct 2003) :
>
> CVS Update
> (This section was sent to project admins last week)
> As you may have noticed, CVS is visibly having growing pains. Due to
> system load, we have had to move anonymous checkouts to our backup
> server. <snip>
>
> This is what we are doing about it: We have 6 new systems that have been
> installed in our co-location facility. These are very fast Xeon systems,
> with very fast RAID.
>
> <big snip>
>
> As of right now, we are working around the clock to get these new boxes
> online to give relief to the performance issues. <snip> Hang in there, we will
> have this behind us in the very near term.
>
> Update: Two of the six systems are now online.  It is likely you have
> already have already noticed a difference.  CVS stats will be back
> online shortly as well.

Interesting, I can't find the last section on the sf.net site, and the
first section there is dated 2003-09-19 05:50:42 on the page.

 > [big snip]

I don't want to FUD sourceforge, so I snipped what you wrote and just
write a general reply, but I think you have a misconception here:

OSDN != OSDL (the latter is where linus got his job)

OSDN is property of VA Software, formely VA Linux, formely VA Research.

Use google to find more about their history, it's interesting.

Oh, and berlios is sponsored/promoted by the german gouvernment, so I
guess the money thing isn't a problem there (look at their hardware and
compare to sourceforge ;) )

That said, I don't have any strong feelings about it, just wanted to
point to some alternatives.

cheers,
olier