[reportlab-users] tag handling in paragraphs.

Fri, 30 May 2003 13:08:54 +0100

In article <009c01c3269a$4651f060$271f11ac@zwerschke>, Christoph
Zwerschke <zwerschke@zuv.uni-heidelberg.de> writes
>Henning, I guess I overlooked the "eval" call, right?
>
>Robin,

>But this also applies to the other additions you already made to paragraph.
>They should be added to para as well.

yes I know and we haven't time at present.

>> 2) We have a pre-processor language rml which currently hands off
>> paragraph processing to the paragraph.py. If we are to bring that in
>> line it means quite a lot of work.

rml is proprietary ie people pay money for it. It doesn't have to be
upgraded, but logically ought to be.

>> Ideally I would prefer to factor out the logic for these translations
>> and allow people to determine their own preferred set of things to has
>> as entities. If we do Latin-1, someone will demand their own things.
>
>I don't think anybody would do so, since Latin-1 is XHTML standard. More
>precisely, XHTML predefines the following named entities:
>* F.1.1. XHTML Latin 1 Character Entities
>* F.1.2. XHTML Special Characters
>* F.1.3. XHTML Mathematical, Greek, and Symbolic Characters
>Since we already provide 1.2 and 1.3, I think we should also provide 1.1.
>And I think RML should include the XHTML entity definitions as well.
>
>Of course there should be hooks to overwrite (replace, add) those predefined
>entities. But it is very convenient if they already exist just as in XHTML
>and you don't have to care defining such basic things.
>
>The only problem I see is to account for MacRoman encoding, but this should
>be solvable. By the way, which encoding is used under Linux? Win or Mac? So
>maybe I could check it under Linux.
>
>Christoph

XHTML isn't the only standard in the world, it's a useful one though. A
Japanese user might want other things.  Another useful set of names
might be the glyph names used internally by the fonts, but I notice that
they are often different to the ones defined by my xhtml koala (eg
macron vs macr).

We aren't really in the business of making an html look alike language.
Personally I always liked n/troff style.