[reportlab-users] tag handling in paragraphs.

Marius Gedminas reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 14:39:41 +0300

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 12:57:33PM +0200, Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
[... snip XML Latin-1 character entities ...]
> The only problem I see is to account for MacRoman encoding, but this should
> be solvable. By the way, which encoding is used under Linux? Win or Mac? So
> maybe I could check it under Linux.

Neither.  Some use ISO 8859-1, some use ISO 8859-15, some use other ISO
8859 family encodings, more and more start to use UTF-8.

Ideally I wish Reportlab would use Unicode internally -- then there
would be no problems with expanding XML character entities
unambiguously.  That would be pretty easy to do with TrueType fonts (TTF
backend already uses UTF-8, adding support for Python's Unicode strings
would be trivial), but more difficult with Type 1 fonts.

Marius Gedminas
--
Seen on a button at an SF Convention:
Veteran of the Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force.  1990-1951.