[reportlab-users] tag handling in paragraphs.

Christoph Zwerschke reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 12:57:33 +0200

Henning, I guess I overlooked the "eval" call, right?

Robin,

> 1) We have an alternate para class which logically should be brought in
> line with paragraph.

But this also applies to the other additions you already made to paragraph.
They should be added to para as well.

> 2) We have a pre-processor language rml which currently hands off
> paragraph processing to the paragraph.py. If we are to bring that in
> line it means quite a lot of work.

I haven't used RML until now, so could you explain a little bit more? As far
as I understand, RML is only the language. Which tools do you refer to that
actually handle RML documents and use paragraph.py? RML2PDF? Also, if they
use paragraph.py, what's the problem then? If we make the additions to
paragraph.py, RML2PDF would profit automatically.

> Ideally I would prefer to factor out the logic for these translations
> and allow people to determine their own preferred set of things to has
> as entities. If we do Latin-1, someone will demand their own things.

I don't think anybody would do so, since Latin-1 is XHTML standard. More
precisely, XHTML predefines the following named entities:
* F.1.1. XHTML Latin 1 Character Entities
* F.1.2. XHTML Special Characters
* F.1.3. XHTML Mathematical, Greek, and Symbolic Characters
Since we already provide 1.2 and 1.3, I think we should also provide 1.1.
And I think RML should include the XHTML entity definitions as well.

Of course there should be hooks to overwrite (replace, add) those predefined
entities. But it is very convenient if they already exist just as in XHTML
and you don't have to care defining such basic things.

The only problem I see is to account for MacRoman encoding, but this should
be solvable. By the way, which encoding is used under Linux? Win or Mac? So
maybe I could check it under Linux.

Christoph