[reportlab-users] RE: reportlab-dev list?

Marc Stober reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 09:14:44 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3251B.1AC57A00

Hi Dinu,

It makes sense to me to have more than one list, I'm just not sure dev vs.
users is the right distinction. We are all by necessity Python programmers
and would be interested in how to do a better paragraph formatting algorithm
or pie chart, for example; on the other hand, there are issues like pyRXP
development and certain implementation details where you are not looking to
involve the average user. I just ask that we NOT become like the list for
another software product I use, where every other message on the "users"
list is the moderator saying, 'please post your question to the "dev" list.'

While I am writing to you, since you built the TrueType support in
ReportLab, could tell me what is wrong with the following code that works in
ReportLab 1.16, but is keeping me from upgrading to 1.17? Thank you very
much! -Marc

from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas
c = canvas.Canvas('ttftest.pdf')
import reportlab.rl_config
from reportlab.pdfbase import pdfmetrics
from reportlab.pdfbase.ttfonts import TTFont

# raises error in 1.17 that font is already mapped,
# but can't seem to use the font without this line either
pdfmetrics.registerFont(TTFont('Verdana', 'Verdana.ttf'))

c.setFont('Verdana', 36)
c.drawString(10, 700, 'This is a test.')
c.save()

Marc Stober
mstober@dalbar.com - 617-624-7155
DALBAR, Inc.
The measurement of success.

> Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:38:34 +0200
> From: Dinu Gherman <gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de>
> To: RL-Users <reportlab-users@reportlab.com>
> Subject: [reportlab-users] reportlab-dev list?
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been talking to Andy quite often about a developers list as
> a contrast to purely usage-oriented issues and questions. Somehow
> it never happend, but I'm still convinced it would make sense.
>
> The dev list could receive CVS commit messages and SourceForge bug
> reports, too, which I guess nobody would not like to see on the
> users list. Of course, a subscription to the dev list would not
> automatically mean CVS checkin rights, though.
>
> What do people think here?
>
> Dinu
>
> --
> Dinu C. Gherman

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3251B.1AC57A00

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: reportlab-dev list?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi Dinu,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It makes sense to me to have more than one list, I'm =
just not sure dev vs. users is the right distinction. We are all by =
necessity Python programmers and would be interested in how to do a =
better paragraph formatting algorithm or pie chart, for example; on the =
other hand, there are issues like pyRXP development and certain =
implementation details where you are not looking to involve the average =
user. I just ask that we NOT become like the list for another software =
product I use, where every other message on the &quot;users&quot; list =
is the moderator saying, 'please post your question to the =
&quot;dev&quot; list.'</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>While I am writing to you, since you built the =
TrueType support in ReportLab, could tell me what is wrong with the =
following code that works in ReportLab 1.16, but is keeping me from =
upgrading to 1.17? Thank you very much! -Marc</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>c =3D canvas.Canvas('ttftest.pdf')</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>import reportlab.rl_config</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>from reportlab.pdfbase import pdfmetrics</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>from reportlab.pdfbase.ttfonts import TTFont</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2># raises error in 1.17 that font is already =
mapped,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2># but can't seem to use the font without this line =
either</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>pdfmetrics.registerFont(TTFont('Verdana', =
'Verdana.ttf'))</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>c.setFont('Verdana', 36)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>c.drawString(10, 700, 'This is a test.')</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>c.save()</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>__________________________________________________</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Marc Stober</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>mstober@dalbar.com - 617-624-7155 </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>DALBAR, Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>The measurement of success.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:38:34 +0200</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Dinu Gherman =
&lt;gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: RL-Users =
&lt;reportlab-users@reportlab.com&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: [reportlab-users] reportlab-dev =
list?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Reply-To: reportlab-users@reportlab.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Hi,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I've been talking to Andy quite often about a =
developers list as</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; a contrast to purely usage-oriented issues and =
questions. Somehow</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; it never happend, but I'm still convinced it =
would make sense.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The dev list could receive CVS commit messages =
and SourceForge bug</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; reports, too, which I guess nobody would not =
like to see on the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; users list. Of course, a subscription to the =
dev list would not</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; automatically mean CVS checkin rights, =
though.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; What do people think here?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Dinu</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; --</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Dinu C. Gherman</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3251B.1AC57A00--