[reportlab-users] TeX line breaking in reportlab?

Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:01:27 +0100

In article <20030609014838.GA12885@idi.ntnu.no>, Magnus Lie Hetland
<magnus@hetland.org> writes

>I suppose you refer to the implementation, and not the algorithm?

yes certainly.

>I guess my underlying question was: Is it feasible to get the basic
>mechanics of TeX line breaking/typesetting into ReportLab? At present,
>the "look" of the text (which is, I suppose, mainly a result of line
>breaking and kerning) is one of my main reasons for preferring
>pdflatex to reportlab for report generating purposes... Even though
>reportlab does have certain advantages...

It woul;d be nice to support another breaking mechanism in ReportLab
particularly one that could support kerning/hyphenation etc. At present
we don't require all of the metrics required to support kerning and any
mechanism that required character by character access to the text is
likely to be too slow unless done in C. I have a number of candidate
algorithms lying about in that case. I guess we should probably
implement a better layout for simple text, but that wasn't the primary
target when ReportLab was started.