[reportlab-users] setting title for ?ValueAxis

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:43:15 +0200

Robin Becker:

> ....Thanks for that, I'm not sure whether we need this. The axes are
> joined up by the chart so until that happens it's quite hard to know
> what the correct 'natural' location is for axis decoration. Dinu
> originally demanded things like tickUp, tickDown where I wanted
> tickIn/tickOut.

In/out has no meaning at all, if you want to use auch a component
isolated from its "usual" environment. You just might want to use
isolated axes if only for the purpose of illustrating them in a
User Guide or in a GUI editor palette. In/out means you're buil-
ding a strong semantic connection between components which might
not always exist.

> When the axis is at the top/middle/bottom these latter
> have differing meanings, but the former are rather absolute and make it
> harder to think of automatic behaviour.

All this is about "intelligent" layouting, which implies the com-
ponents need to know their spatial relationships if they themsel-
ves or some external layout mechanism is supposed to automagically
arrange them somehow, either by doing constraint satisfaction magic,
or by exploiting some quantum-dynamic entanglement effects...

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The British man who decapitated a marble statue of former prime mi-