[reportlab-users] Re: Reporlab patches

Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:45:19 +0000

forwarded from Antonio Cuni <cuni@programmazione.it>

-----Original message-----
Subject:    Reporlab patches
To:         Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
From:       Antonio Cuni <cuni@programmazione.it>
Date:       Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:33:35 +0000

Il 00:14, sabato 4 gennaio 2003, Robin Becker ha scritto:
> First off can you submit your patches to reportlab-users@reportlab.com
> that way other users will see them.

Have I to create the patch file in the usual way?
diff -C 3 -N -r /dir.original /dir.new > patchfile

> Secondly, do your patches affect the way the original styles are
> interpreted?

No, they doesn't: I paid attention not to break old code; I also wrote a
simple test-case and it seems to work well. Old test cases aren't affected.

> I have no doubt that the existing tables/tablestyles are not the
> 'best'/'right' way to do tables, but they are now in use and so some
> inertia lies between us and a better solution to tabular layout.

I understand. I'll submit the patch on sourceforge, so you can see and decide
what to do.
The only doubts I have are about class names: I'm not a native english
speaker, so probably there are better names for my classes. Currently I have
these identifiers:

module cellranges
    class CellRange # classic "rectangular" set of cell
    class Row # an entire row
    class Column # an entire column
    class RowRange # a set of consecutive rows
    class ColumnRange # a set of consecutive columns

Please tell me if there are better names, so that I can update my code.

ciao Anto
--
"Computer science is not about computers any more than astronomy
is about telescopes." -- EW Dijkstra

-----End of original message from Antonio Cuni-----