[reportlab-users] acrobat reader not printing pdf files with images generated with reportlab

Marek Pêtlicki reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:57:37 +0200

> I am using reportlab for generating some pdf files. Previously I was using
> Python 2.2.3 and all was fine. Recently I switched to Python 2.3 and now
> the generated files containing images are not printing on a PS printer.
> It gives error:
>
>   ERROR: undefined    __
>   OFFENDING COMMAND: filter
>
>   STACK:
>   /A85
>   filetype
>   --nostringval--
[...cut...]
>   --nostringval--
>   savetype

I've got the same problem with other version of Python (2.2.2),
ReportLab (1.17) and printer (Xerox). When switched the Language Level
option in Acrobat Reader print settings dialog to 1 or 2 the problem
dissapears. YMMV however, the problem is strange, because the very
problem appears in AcrobatReader in Linux (same workaround) and in gv,
which has problems in the stage of postscript generation/analysis
(replacing pdf2ps with pdftops in gv config seems to fix the problem
though).

best regards

Marek Pêtlicki