[reportlab-users] Hello World sample?! (Was: Status update on Java support)

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:02:58 +0100

> I think somebody is misunderstanding something here (maybe
> me?)... Unless the desire is to show how many pages of Java
> code you'd need for generating some Hello World in PDF...
> why don't you run "jython reportlab/test/test_hello.py"??
> Not a single byte to be changed - just run it (see below)!

I mean a snippet showing Java developers how they can write
Java code to generate or manipulate a PDF document.  Python
users can be assumed to know what Jython is, Java users
are a big market but can't be assumed to know about Jython.
They need docco and clearly explained limitations.

Until a few people shout "I want perfect Jython compatibility
now" and are prepared to help (or pay), I will assume that
making _rl_accel.java is a low priority.  We already did
the main bit: what should work, works, and we know exactly
what doesn't so we will not mislead anyone.

- Andy