[reportlab-users] Hello World sample?! (Was: Status update on Java support)

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:51:04 +0200

Andy Robinson:

>> Maybe a small Jython 'Hello World' example would be useful.
>
> I agree.  A code snippet showing Java code which
> creates a canvas and saves it would be very cool;
> it tells people "why" Jython matters.

I think somebody is misunderstanding something here (maybe
me?)... Unless the desire is to show how many pages of Java
code you'd need for generating some Hello World in PDF...
why don't you run "jython reportlab/test/test_hello.py"??
Not a single byte to be changed - just run it (see below)!

> Just out of curiosity, who here would actually USE
> it from jython?  My suspicion on jython is that
> it's very cool, but the people using it are ones
> who really need to add a scripting capability to
> a Java app, or who aren't allowed to install
> non-Java software.  If no one is asking, we won't
> spend a few weeks on a Jython version of _rl_accel
> for starters :-)

Well, we have Java phones already! I'm not sure how pow-
erful they are and/or if anybody has run Jython on them.
But I know that the manufacturers are screaming for "use-
ful" applications, other than "Pong" between two phones...

ReportLab has the technology for generating "serious"
content (if necessary remotely)... but I think I'd need
to invoice people here for reading further ideas... ;-)

Dinu

     dinu% cd /Users/dinu/Desktop/hellojy
     dinu% ll
     drwxr-xr-x   4 dinu  staff   136 Sep  9 14:29 ./
     drwxrwxrwx  10 dinu  staff   340 Sep  9 14:29 ../
     -rw-r--r--   1 dinu  staff  1025 Jul 25 12:58 test_hello.py
     dinu% jython test_hello.py
     Warn: Python Imaging Library not available
     .
     Ran 1 tests in 0.508s

     OK
     dinu% ll
     -rw-r--r--   1 dinu  staff  2383 Sep  9 14:29 test_hello.pdf
     drwxr-xr-x   5 dinu  staff   170 Sep  9 14:29 ./