[reportlab-users] no linux2 in setup.py?

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 20:47:43 +0100

> >Additionally I suggest, that the destination of the build extensions
> >is not the general site-package dir, but the rl- lib directory itself.
> >I can look to provide a patch for this.
> >
> >__Janko

I second Robin's opiniion.  Prctically, it's easier to have one
directory with all needed pyd or DLL files on Windows. Not
knowing any better, that's what I did on Unix too. When
helping someone get setup, you just say 'put these 10 files
in this directory and it all works'.

_rl_accel is specific to ReportLab, renderPM need not be,
pyRXP (which we use all the time in our commercial work)
certainly isn't. We also tend to have to ship people
_imaging, which is a complete pig to build on some
platforms.

Problem 2:  let's say we do a distribution in a reportlab.pyz
archive.  AFAICT you can't have 'import reportlab.lib._rl_accel'
importing from that environment.

On the other hand, if we are in a minority I would like
to know...

Thanks,

Andy Robinson