[reportlab-users] no linux2 in setup.py?

Fri, 5 Jul 2002 17:56:32 +0100

In article <20020705123401.2a1c7cfe.jh@comunit.de>, Janko Hauser
<jh@comunit.de> writes
>On Fri,  5 Jul 2002 12:23:41 +0200
>Just van Rossum <just@letterror.com> wrote:
>
>> Janko Hauser wrote:
>>
>> > Hello, why is linux2  not in the list of plattforms of the
>> > setup.py of the lib directory?
>>
>> The question really should be: why is there a list of platforms if
>> the extensions are plain ansi C that don't depend on external
>> libraries?
>>
>Thanks for the clarification :-), yes you are right.
>
>Additionally I suggest, that the destination of the build extensions
>is not the general site-package dir, but the rl- lib directory itself.
>I can look to provide a patch for this.
>
>__Janko

Logically there should be a setup for reportlab itself. Since that's not
yet the case it's probably not worthwhile worrying too much about the
individual things we use to build the dlls since if that arrived we
should have a better idea of where things should go.

As for the exact destinations it make a difference on win32, but maybe
not on unices. I keep common dlls in site-packages so that all the
various extensions can use them. If I have a pyd that uses libjpeg.dll
then on win32 it either has to be on the PATH or in the same directory
as the client exe/dll/pyd (at least for win2k) so I claim it makes sense
to keep everything together since normally site-packages isn't on the
PATH (although it may be on the PYTHONPATH).