[reportlab-users] diagonal ShadedRect and Clipping ?

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:06:37 +0200

Dirk Datzert:

>> Quite
>> likely that means one or two new attributes like shadedFillStartColor
>> and -EndColor or start-/endShadedFillColor.
>
> I don't agree, if you remember your different shading modes, which have
> the need for more than the above attributes.

In some sense, yes, adding attributes like hell is a bad idea, too.
One might consider adding a shader object outlet to each solid shape
and delegate the shading "problem" to this object.

> I would say that we need something like an interface for backgrounds
> and there should be one of kind shading with multiple possible modes.

Frankly, I don't like the term background at all. Backgrounds are
one area where your problem shows up, but the real problem is that
you want to have arbitrary shading of solid shapes.

>> for iso-lines in GIS applications. But to get there you probably
>> need to solve quite a few differential equations... ;-)
>
> What are iso-lines and GIS applications ?

Lines with the same value for some given attribute, like height in
2D projections of landscapes in Graphical Information Systems.

>> BTW, if you ever need to compute a convex hull for polygons, the
>> Python Cookbook has a recipe for doing so, which I submitted. ;-)
>
> Have you an url for me ?

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/66527

Dinu