[reportlab-users] diagonal ShadedRect and Clipping ?

Dirk Datzert reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 17:51:24 +0200

Hi Dinu,

>  From my point of view the goal must be to provide a uniform way for
> each (existing) solid shape to have shaded filled inner area.

I agree :-)

> Quite
> likely that means one or two new attributes like shadedFillStartColor
> and -EndColor or start-/endShadedFillColor.

I don't agree, if you remember your different shading modes, which have
the need for more than the above attributes.

I would say that we need something like an interface for backgrounds
and there should be one of kind shading with multiple possible modes.

> Unfortunately, as Robin has pointed out, there are many ways of in-
> terpreting what "shaded" exactly means.

I agree.

> This is one thing to speci-
> fy first. Then there are different shading modes, like linear, lo-
> garithmic, circular, elliptic, and, why not, multi-center shading
> with more than two colors.

A lot to do ;-)

> for iso-lines in GIS applications. But to get there you probably
> need to solve quite a few differential equations... ;-)

What are iso-lines and GIS applications ?

> BTW, if you ever need to compute a convex hull for polygons, the
> Python Cookbook has a recipe for doing so, which I submitted. ;-)

Have you an url for me ?

> One should also investigate what libart, PIL and SVG provide as
> built-in shading concepts.

I agree, don't know much about these tools.

> Replicated class hierarchies is certainly *not* a good idea.

I agree

Regards,
Dirk