[DogParkList] Logging field positions

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Mon Jul 25 11:16:03 EDT 2005

Hi Jonathan,

On 25-Jul-05, at 9:17 AM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

> I suppose having an additional contest input helper window which
> could perform this function wouldn't make things any easier either,
> given the discussions we have had before Don ?
>
> Good to have different people putting forward ideas though - since
> some like Bob's will be possible in the interim.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the Apple way is to do the
design right - the Microsoft way is get it out the door with as many
features, preferences, configurations, profiles and modes as possible
to try and keep everyone happy.

It is one thing for the end user to drag the columns around in a list
view but quite another thing to incorporate a full fledged user
interface design system.

The analogy to the cellphone profile was made and I think the
cellphone is an excellent example of UI design gone horribly wrong.

I love my Sony-Ericsson T610 - but I shudder every time I have to
play with the settings or change the profiles.

As Mac users we expect the user interface to just make sense and to
only reveal complexity when we need it.

I could take several months to create an interface builder for MLDX
but that would be several months not improving the program for DXers,
SWLers rag chewers etc.

Where ever possible I will continue to add features to MacLoggerDX to
make contesting easier/more enjoyable.

I thought Bob Jones' suggestion was elegant, made perfect sense and I
added it this morning to MLDX v4.1.1b9

On 24-Jul-05, at 11:48 AM, Bob Jones wrote:

> I think I came to MLDX too late to be involved in this discussion
> but having used the programme in the 80m Club Championships I can
> suggest one very simply modification that would help contesters.
> This is to put the signal report and serial number fields directly
> after the callsign field. That way a simply 'tab' button, rather
> than navigating the screen with a mouse, could be used after the
> callsign has been logged.  I realise that for DX-ing this may not
> be the ideal, but there's normally a little more time available
> between QSOs then!
>
> Best regards
> Bob, G3YIQ

But as you can see from the new 4.1.1b9 screenshot (you may have to
refresh your browser) <http://www.dogparksoftware.com/
MacLoggerDX.html> this change makes sense for everyone - not just
contesters.

I look forward to hearing more suggestions like this from contesters
and will be happy to implement them.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com