[Scons-dev] SCons and Python 3.0

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Wed Feb 25 15:10:11 EST 2015

Bill,

On 25.02.2015 20:29, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I believe the goal should be that a single codebase would work on python 2.7 and 3.x
>
> Given that premise I think having a separate branch for 3.0 work would just end up in much additional work.

you're aware of the fact that we already have a branch for this (python3-port)?

> I'd like to add some python 3.0 buildslaves and then add small changes to trunk which would work towards the goal of the code
> working on py 2.7 and 3.x.
>
> Otherwise we'll have to maintain a longstanding branch for 3.0 work.
> Since it's unlikely that such changes will be huge architectural changes, but mainly should be minor code changes this should be a
> relatively safe path..
>
> Thoughts?

At some point after the v2.5 release, we should probably just merge the current "python3-port" into "default"...and then put all our
efforts into making it work. From then on it's a mixed 2.7/3.x codebase...and we don't look back.

Just my 2 cents,

Dirk