[Scons-dev] Subprocess issue on Linux?

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Wed Apr 2 04:16:23 EDT 2014

I think the test round about line 144 needs to be a little different. For instance, aix and solaris (at least the versions we use at work) claim to support posix_spawn and the man pages are identical, but they don't identify themselves as linux

One other question that comes to mind from time to time: do we /really/ need to spawn a shell just to execute a command. Obviously if it include '>' and other shell specials, you should. I'd really like to make it do something like perl:
If you pass an array [ 'prog', '$TARGET', '$SOURCE' ] it doesn't execute a shell. Otherwise (passing a single string), it will examine for special characters, and if none are found it will split on white space and execute that, or it will pass that line to the shell.

NB Yes, I realise this will potentially break things, but why execute a shell if you don't have to?