[Scons-dev] Subprocess issue on Linux?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Tue Apr 1 17:20:02 EDT 2014

Hi there,

On 01.04.2014 18:13, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> I've found posix spawn can be much faster than fork/exec with large

> memory processes, so I'd be in favor of this. Not every system has it

> though so there would have to be a fallback to fork/exec.

> --

> Gary Oberbrunner

> (sent from my Android)

> On Apr 1, 2014 11:52 AM, "Kenny, Jason L" <jason.l.kenny at intel.com

> <mailto:jason.l.kenny at intel.com>> wrote:

> Hi guys,

> I just got a patch to Parts internal at Intel to fix some issues

> with subprocess. I find myself sort of surprised by this, and

> honestly felt that this seems to be an issue that should be looked

> at in Scons as well.

> [...]

> Does anyone else have input on this? IF this is a good patch, it

> seem that we will want to apply it to SCons, for a speed boost.

a few minutes ago I updated the page

http://www.scons.org/wiki/WhySconsIsNotSlow

with my latest results. Check out the bottom of the page, and the repository

http://www.bitbucket.org/dirkbaechle/scons_testresults

for all the results. I'm also talking to Tzvetan Mikov off-list, he
volunteered to write a CPython extension for posix_spawn() to help SCons
out. I'll try to get him subscribed to this list, so the three of you
can talk some more about this, okay?

Best regards,

Dirk