[reportlab-users] setup.py findFile() logic fragile to symlink loops

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Mar 28 12:16:11 EDT 2022

On 28/03/2022 13:33, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-03-28 at 11:26 +0100, Robin Becker wrote:
>
> I've asked one of the users reproducing this to test the patch, and he
> confirmed that it works fine.  Thanks!

great

> That said, I'd personally avoid the 'SD.__self__' part and just kept
> the actual list as a variable.  I'm not 100% sure but I think this could
> qualify relying on implementation details, and therefore could break
> at some point in the future.

Well I asked in the python-dev list to see if this is part of python or not. GvR the former dictator says it's
documented in stdtypes so is OK (part of the standard library). I'll take his word for it and continue to use these
optimizations. At least they're findable through the __self__ usage so fixing won't be a problem when/if they are found
to be bad.

Thanks again for the report