[reportlab-users] Slightly confused with setFillGray

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Jan 15 15:06:03 EST 2020

Frank wrote:

> This is a minor point, but I want to make sure I understand it.
>
> I thought that setFillGray(0), setFillColorRGB(0, 0 ,0), and
> setFillColor(colors.black) were interchangeable.
>
> I have discovered that, if you have previously executed
> setFillColor(colors.transparent), alpha is set to 0.
>
> If you then execute any of the above commands, only
> setFillColor(colors.black) resets the alpha value. The other two do
> not, resulting in text being invisible.
>
> Am I missing something?

Nope, that's the way it works.  setFillGray, setFillColorRGB,
setStrokeGray, and SetStrokeColorRGB all have an additional parameter to
specify the alpha value.  If you don't supply a value, the current alpha
value is retained.  "colors.black" happens to include all four components.

    C:\tmp>python
    Python 3.7.3 (v3.7.3:ef4ec6ed12, Mar 25 2019, 22:22:05) [MSC v.1916
    64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
     >>> from reportlab.lib import colors
     >>> colors.black
    Color(0,0,0,1)