[reportlab-users] Error with reportlab in Odoo 12 community edition

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Sep 30 03:19:04 EDT 2019

On 29/09/2019 13:28, Andy Robinson wrote:
> I know nothing about Odoo.  Does it require reportlab to be installed, or
> does it bundle it?

the problem here is that you don't have the compile C extension called _renderPM as part of your 'install'.

> If you install reportlab normally with 'python setup.py install' or 'pip
> install', it will compile a C extension called _renderPM, used for bitmap
> graphics and charts.   However this requires various libraries to be on the
> system for the compilation to succeed.  It may be worth trying to install
> reportlab in a fresh virtual environment, and watching for compiler errors
> as it runs...

Andy is correct if you are installing from source, but we try to build installable wheels that should run against
windows/linux/osx. Can you tell us a bit more about what the odoo platform is and how you are actually installing reportlab?

If I search for Odoo it seems like it is using a cloud platform. It's very often true that they restrict what is
installable to avoid problems. Perhaps they are not installing manylinux wheels or compiled extensions etc etc.

According to the odoo forum you should try this

sudo apt-get install python3-renderpm

so it seems they split stuff up more than we do.

Perhaps they also have other reportlab related modules.