[reportlab-users] Hyphenation

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Sun Jun 24 11:18:16 EDT 2018

Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> writes:

> Thanks for these. The gffset is some kind of mistype, you are right the
> lambda seems not to be required. As for using the longest split I am not
> sure that is always best; the branch code is looking for a balanced split.
> It's nearly 50 years since I last looked at hyphanation (for a port of
> troff) so I am no doubt well out of date :)

:-)

I just tried your branch (using Py3.6, fwiw): it works well for "normal"
paragraphs, but the ImageAndFlowables still behaves oddly. I tried to execute
it under pdb but I have (again! sorry :-\) the feeling that I'm missing
something in the logic.

Anyway, I'm attaching the sample script I used, and an image showing the place
where the hyphenation does not happen, even when there's plenty of space to
split the words "semplicemente" and "avanzare".

All the best,
ciao, lele.