[reportlab-users] ReporLab Printing

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Jan 12 11:18:39 EST 2016

I don't think the toolkit does anything to the pdf that would alter its
transmission to a printer. Each page has to set up the resources it needs for
correct display and that should be common to any producer. When you say "it
sends the data in chunks" what is "it"? Are you some how streaming the output to
the printer from a script? You said previously that the PDF is being produced on
disk and then fed to the printer. So far as I recall rltk kees everything in
memory until it can write the whole file the code looks like this

> 	def SaveToFile(self, filename, canvas):
> 		if hasattr(getattr(filename, "write",None),'__call__'):
> 			myfile = 0
> 			f = filename
> 			filename = makeFileName(getattr(filename,'name',''))
> 		else :
> 			myfile = 1
> 			filename = makeFileName(filename)
> 			f = open(filename, "wb")
> 		data = self.GetPDFData(canvas)
> 		if isUnicode(data):
> 			data = data.encode('latin1')
> 		f.write(data)
> 		if myfile:
> 			f.close()
> 			import os
> 			if os.name=='mac':
> 				from reportlab.lib.utils import markfilename
> 				markfilename(filename) # do platform specific file junk
> 		if getattr(canvas,'_verbosity',None): print('saved %s' % (filename,))

so we get all the data, possibly convert to bytes and then write all out; if the
filw is owned by the document it is then closed.