[reportlab-users] Font Helvetica always used?

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Jun 16 12:43:28 EDT 2015

On 6/16/2015 7:36 AM, ECP Admin via reportlab-users wrote:
> Thanks for answering. Yes you are right, the 14 default fonts
> (including Helvetica) are always available in every PDF document. So
> what's the problem? I have created a PDF document with 3 external
> fonts. The result is a document that lists 3 embedded fonts and one
> (unused) internal font (Helvetica). I have send this document to a
> german online printing service (flyeralarm.de <http://flyeralarm.de>),
> but the data check complains
> and the document was rejected. The reason: Only embedded font are
> allowed. Hmm ... perculiar, perhaps a gray area. In my case the
> Helvetica font isn't used, so it isn't necessary to include this font.
> A similar document without the Helvetica font is accepted. So my
> question is: Is there any chance that you only incorporate the really
> used fonts in the document header?
>
> Regards Klaus

Sounds like the german online printing service data check is
inappropriately rejecting the standard fonts that _all_ PDF viewers are
required to support.

Is there any chance they could conform to the standard?

The 14 default fonts are _implicitly_ embedded, so should not be
rejected by such a data checker.