[reportlab-users] Chinese Custom Glyphs

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Jul 1 11:44:42 EDT 2015

Hi Dan,

I used to work in Japan in 1989-1990, and remember the chaos it caused
as each department in the company tried to keep a "custom font" on a
shared drive with extra glyphs for specific customers.  Sometimes,
people preferred to write their names with historic versions of
characters that had been "officially" simplified, and well-meaning
marketing managers and secretaries obliged them, causing nightmares
thereafter because everyone would end up with slightly different
versions of the font.  I naively hoped that Unicode had made this
problem go away a couple of decades ago!

Out of curiosity, is it the same problem?  Is there a legitimate
reason why Chinese users can't use standard Unicode characters?

Thanks,

Andy