[reportlab-users] Incorrect character composition

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Apr 16 05:51:52 EDT 2015

On 16/04/2015 06:46, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> From: Henning von Bargen <H.vonBargen at t-p.com>
> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 07:16:15 +0000
>
>> Wordaxe does support automatic hyphenation and kerning.
>>
>> See the SVN trunk (current revision is 110) at
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/deco-cow/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/
>>
>> However, I failed to make it work with RL's ImageAndFlowables class.
>> That's why I did not release an official new version.
>>
>> For an example with kerning support, see the file
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/deco-cow/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/tests/test_truetype.py
>>
>> I agree with Andy that kerning slows the paragraph-wrapping process down,
>> so personally I would only use it for headings and title, not for the
>> main text content.

I corresponded about the problem he observed with ImageAndFlowables, it turned
out that his paragraph wrapping was looping forever for the case of negative
available widths which could happen in some ImageAndFlowable instances. I did
put in a fix to the bitbucket repository, but haven't heard if that works for
Henning.