[reportlab-users] apple fonts

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Sep 29 08:46:07 EDT 2014

A bitbucket issue reports that some apple ttf fonts have type 10/13 cmaps. The
fonts in question are allegedly

Apple Symbols
LastResort

but the copies of these that I have are using type 12 which we do currently
support. I have attempted a patch to handle these new cmaps, but don't have any
samples to test on. Anyone here have a modern Mac?

The versions I have look like this

Kangchenjunga:~ rptlab$ ls -l /System/Library/Fonts/LastResort.ttf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  13894924 Jul 16  2009
/System/Library/Fonts/LastResort.ttf
Kangchenjunga:~ rptlab$ ls -l /System/Library/Fonts/Apple\ Symbols.ttf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1506200 Jul 16  2009 /System/Library/Fonts/Apple
Symbols.ttf

so maybe someone has versions that differ. The LastResort.ttf file would likely
be quite a bit smaller if it used type 13.