[reportlab-users] How are split, wrap, wrapOn supposed to work?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Nov 7 09:15:09 EST 2014

Henning, I'm sorry about the lack of reply.  We have been tied up with
a very complex series of software releases this week.  And to be
honest I need some time to remember how this code works, it's been
about 10 years since I touched it :-(

My first impression is this:
> What should a flowable do if wrap is called with availWidth <= 0?
We never thought of it, but I guess raise a LayoutException?
> Or is that not supposed to happen at all?
see above.

We're working on core stuff next week - I hope.   We will try to pull
your code down and look then.

- Andy

On 7 November 2014 13:59, Henning von Bargen <H.vonBargen at t-p.com> wrote:
> A week ago I asked for help regarding split, wrap and wrapOn.
>
> Unfortunately, I have not yet received any reply, that's why I'm asking
> again.
>
> While testing WordAxe, I found the test-case for ImageAndFlowables
> running into an endless loop because the flowable's wrap method
> is called with a negative availWidth argument and the Wordaxe
> implementation
> of a Paragraph obviously fails to handle this situation "in the right
> way".
>
> The question is: What is the right way then?
> What should a flowable do if wrap is called with availWidth <= 0?
> Or is that not supposed to happen at all?
> And then, why does reportlab.platypus.paragraph.Paragraph work
> with this test-case, but not wordaxe.rl.NewParagraph.Paragraph,
> while it passes all the other tests?
>
> I guess that only a member of the ReportLab team can answer this.
>
> Henning

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420