[reportlab-users] Fwd: Bug in platypus paragraph.py

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon May 26 05:15:41 EDT 2014

Paul, thanks for this.  Our latest source code already has this, so it
looks like we fixed it after the 14.4 cutoff was made

class _SplitText(unicodeT):
    pass

(The 'unicodeT' is an indirection to do with python 2-and-3 compatibility)

I don't know how often the Ubuntu packagers pick up new versions but
there have been a whole lot of subtle improvements since mid-Feb when
the cutoff for 14.4 happened.  in the meantime, hopefully you can grab
a fresher version with 'pip install reportlab' ?  Most active python
users seem to prefer to use Python's packaging tools rather than
Ubuntu's ones.

- Andy

On 26 May 2014 10:04, Paul Mothersdill <paul at nlhas.no> wrote:
> Sorry -- previous mail was sent prematurely.
>
> There's a helper class in paragraph.py :
>
> class _SplitText(str):
>    pass
>
> The str here should surely be unicode? The whole programming logic is that
> it should be a unicode object -- and it fails (of course) if the character
> is outside the ascii range.
>
> I've done limited testing an found that changing this to
>
>  class _SplitText(unicode):
>    pass
> solves the problems I've been experiencing.
>
> Reportlab open source as found in the standard Ubuntu 14.4 server
> repositories.

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420