[reportlab-users] Python 3.x progress

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 9 10:15:20 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

>> Try https://gist.github.com/peterjc/8334631 which extracts the

>> failing Biopython unit test as a short script. I'm working on

>> further simplifying it - currently in addition to ReportLab it

>> requires Biopython (using Biopython 1.63 should be fine).

> anything that requires biopython, numpy etc etc is probably too large.

The gist script is self contained now.

> If you are getting a type error in 3.3 then whatever strings/bytestrings etc

> etc and what's being called at that point would be helpful.

Hopefully you can see that now - let me know if you need the script
further simplified.

> Of course dna can be very large so that may be an issue.

Not in this example.

> It seems the renderPS module doesn't get tested very thoroughly by the

> reprotlab tests and that module is broken. Before I do anything else I will

> try to get it to produce the old standard test shapes.

Good plan - the same example figure in the original tests seemed
to be working fine with PDF and SVG output. Most of our tests
just used PDF output normally.

> I and others are already testing on linux, but as renderPS won't work

> differently there it's probably not worth trying your stuff there yet.

Tested anyway - on Linux it made a postscript file fine under
Python 2.7, but gave a TypeError under Python 3.3 just like on
the Mac.

Regards,

Peter