[reportlab-users] Using Symbola or equivalent Unicode6 font with Reportlab

Mathieu Comandon strycore at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 07:09:17 EST 2014

Hi Robin,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> you just need to download some fonts into the reportlab/fonts folder you

> can get them here

> http://www.reportlab.com/ftp/pfbfer-20070710.zip

> alternatively try removing 'png' from the list of outputs ie

> formats=['pdf'] in the save command. I think we need those T1 font pfbs for

> renderPM output, but not for PDF.

> Thanks, removing the png renderer made the script work (I already had the

fonts installed in reportlab/fonts).

I made some further testing with as many fonts as possible and could not
find any font that would render every langage.
Here is an example of a file with 9 different alphabets rendered with every
font from Windows 7:
http://strycore.com/documents/reportlab/reportlab-unicode-windows-fonts.pdf(6Mb
file) and this is the script I used to generate the file:
http://strycore.com/documents/reportlab/fontrendering.py

The ReportLab manual has a paragraph on automatic output font substitution
but mentions the Symbol and ZapfDingBats character sets. I assume this does
not work with character sets such as Asian alphabets?

Now that I have a good testing script, I experiment some more with
FontForge and keep you informed if I find anyhting of interest.

Mathieu