[reportlab-users] rl, foot notes or margin notes

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Apr 24 06:18:12 EDT 2014

On 24 April 2014 11:09, Dinu Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Does that make sense? I think it sounds like a nice Robin-style challenge. ;-)

Yes, that's broadly the correct specification.

It's relatively easy to imagine when you have one frame on a page.
Each frame typically has an extra 'footnotes gutter' which you would
not use unless there was a footnote, and then if your footnotes are
beyond a certain size, the gutter grows and main part shrinks.

It gets mindbending with two-column layouts. Does one have a single
footnote zone or one in each column? At some point one also needs
spanning columns.

As an aside, our main goal with our 3.X release series was to cross
the "language barrier" with the absolute minimum compatibility
changes. Now this is out of the way, we can afford to get a bit
more adventurous with features, and even contemplate new packing
algorithms which might end up in a 4.0. Slight changes in behaviour
are no longer banned as long as they offer improvements. "Long
document features" are one area we might focus on.

- Andy