[reportlab-users] rl, foot notes or margin notes

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Apr 24 06:11:34 EDT 2014

I know that in RML we can quite easily do sidebars, but it's your
responsibility to make sure the content is short and they never
collide/overflow. In the story we create
- a zero-sized ilustration, containing
- a storyPlace tag which lets you draw in page-relative coordinates,
offset to the right or left, containing
- whatever content you want

Robin, I'm not sure how much preprocessing there is or whether
corresponding tags easily exist in the open source code. If this is
feasible for Platypus users without excessive pain?

- Andy

On 24 April 2014 10:49, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> Hi René,

> On 24/04/2014 10:22, René Bastian wrote:

>> Hello the RL-List,

>> I cannot find in the docs if there is a mean to place foot notes

>> or margin notes into a RL text.

> At the moment I don't think there's any way to do this.

>> Best regards,

> I have thought of approaches involving diversions. There are two main issues

> assuming we keep to the existing story flows into a frame model.

> 1) How to indicate in the story / paragraph that a foot note or marginal is

> to be used. Personally I think it best to put the definition of the note

> into the text that it annotates, but perhaps there's a case for a specific

> note indicator story object. It's reasonable to suppose that things other

> than paragraphs might want to have foot notes eg table cells. Currently

> plain text cells don't allow for any kind of markup.

> 2) How to lay out the notes. This is more or less complicated by the notes

> needing to appear 'near' the referring object (I think it's almost always

> after). The problem is complicated by stylistic issues and coping with

> corner cases. Imagine the last just fitting paragraph on a page has a foot

> note. Presumably we need to defer the footnote to the next page. There's

> also the issue of the indicator to use ie a numeric superscript or special

> symbol and the limit on the size of footnotes on a given page. If we're

> doing multi-column pages should foot notes occupy the full page width or be

> conditioned by their column etc etc.

> Ideas & criticism welcome.

> --

> Robin Becker

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420