[reportlab-users] Python 3, bad output with repr()

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Nov 28 10:07:19 EST 2013

On 28/11/2013 14:08, Lele Gaifax wrote:

> Hi all,

> I'm attaching a stripped down version of one simple printout, as well as

> the PDF I'm getting: it's a "score card" for a game, where players fill

> in their scores, so it's basically just a "frame", without much text.

> Thanks in advance for any hint,

> ciao, lele.

I had this issue already; it seems in their wisdom the Python Gods changed the
behaviour of repr so that it pretty much only escapes the first 32 unicode
points. That means all sorts of higher order characters that used to be encoded
as 0xf7 or u2345 are now regarded as printable and are then pushed into strings
as they are. The equivalent of the old behaviour is a function called ascii (or
alternatively the %a format).