[reportlab-users] Micr font advice in reportlab

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed May 29 13:45:34 EDT 2013

Mike Driscoll wrote:

> The colons turn into the correct character, but the semi-colons end up

> looking blank. I have attached a quick example code and its output.

> You can see the colons have been transformed per the spec, but the

> semi-colons are eaten. There's a demo version of the font that has

> both the characters (I think), so if anyone has any ideas or

> solutions, I'm all ears.

Believe it or not, the problem is in the font files. I had assumed you
were using the TrueType file, and the TrueType file is correct.
Instead, your code is using the Type 1 files (AFM/PFB). If you go look
at the human-readable version (of that the PFA), you'll see that the
Type 1 font simply does not include the semi-colon. (I checked the demo
version, but I assume the real version is the same.)

If you paid for this font (and I assume you did), that's a bug, and you
should complain. In the meantime, if you switch to the TrueType
version, this problem will go away.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.