[reportlab-users] Micr font advice in reportlab

Mike Driscoll mike at pythonlibrary.org
Wed May 29 10:48:02 EDT 2013

Hi,

I posted about this issue a couple weeks ago and still haven't figured it
out, but I found some more information about the font. I am using a font
called MICRCheckPrixa. You can read about it here:

http://www.micre13b.com/MICRCheckPrixa.pdf

According to the spec, I should be able to use semi-colons to get one of
the funky MICR characters, however it seems to be getting eaten by
Reportlab somehow.

Here's my code snippet:

micr = '<font name="MICRCheckPrixa" style="regular" size=14>;%s; :%s:
%s</font>'
micr_line = micr % (self.check_data.check_number,
self.check_data.bank_routing_number,
self.check_data.bank_account_number)

The colons turn into the correct character, but the semi-colons end up
looking blank. I have attached a quick example code and its output. You can
see the colons have been transformed per the spec, but the semi-colons are
eaten. There's a demo version of the font that has both the characters (I
think), so if anyone has any ideas or solutions, I'm all ears.

I am running Python 2.6 on Windows 7.

--
Mike Driscoll

Blog: http://blog.pythonlibrary.org