[reportlab-users] How to add astrerisks to barcodes in reportlab

Mike Driscoll mike at pythonlibrary.org
Fri Mar 22 14:47:00 EDT 2013

Hi,

I was trying out the builtin barcode generating functions of Reportlab
today in the hopes that I could replace the font we're currently embedding
in our PDFs with just Python code. Right now, we're using a "code 3 of 9"
barcode font to create our barcodes in Reportlab. The barcodes encode
strings that look something like this (minus the quotes): "*123456789*".

I thought I could use code39 from reportlab.graphics.barcode to do the
same thing, but I just get a blank area where the barcode should be. If I
remove the asterisks, it works. I tried a few of the other barcode types,
but the same thing happens with them. Does anyone have any insights?

Mike Driscoll

Blog: http://blog.pythonlibrary.org