[reportlab-users] build _renderPM extension

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Jun 19 08:42:36 EDT 2013

On 19/06/2013 12:39, Joancarles Casasín wrote:

> Running test_renderPM.py gives this traceback:

> ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/_renderPM.so, 2): Symbol not found: _FT_Done_Face

> Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/_renderPM.so

> Expected in: flat namespace

> in /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/_renderPM.so

> reportlab/tests/runAll.py only gives 'Failed to import renderPM' error.

Hi Joancarles,

the above symbol relates to freetype support. It seems to indicate that
_renderPM.so was built with freetype support in some way, but that at runtime it
cannot find the symbol that it needs.

I don't know if you saw errors during the build. last time I tried this stuff on
a mac it nearly drove me mad. Whatever else is good about macs the internal
software architecture is just gothic and awful.

You may get better results asking about this stuff on the mac python list(s) or
try using buildout.
-hating fat binaries-ly yours-