[reportlab-users] database reporting

Silke henning.vonbargen at arcor.de
Mon Jun 3 16:01:31 EDT 2013

To be honest, I think there isn't any DB reporting tool written in Python comparable to the best commercial report design tools.

To create just tabular listings, Reportlab's LongTable is fine (I should know, because I developed the patch). For languages with long words, you should use Wordaxe paragraphs with auto hyphenation inside the cells to avoid wasting space. However, a cell must not be longer than one page. For very long text, you could try to split it into paragraphs with less than 200 chars and use several table rows then.

For more sophisticated reports, I recommend something like Eclipse BIRT - unfortunately, that's Java and not Python, but nobody's perfect.

HTH
Henning