[reportlab-users] Any news on Python 3 support

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Jul 5 09:58:20 EDT 2013

Hi everyone.

We will be starting work on this in just over a week, and we hope (but
do not promise) to have some running code available in late August or
September.

The deadline depends partly on our customers doing what they are
supposed to in July and August: taking vacations and leaving us alone
;-)

We have our own private port which got to 'hello world' in PDF about 4
months ago, and we will be studying Hajime Nakagami's port (which is
based on older reportlab code) as well.

This involves me getting familiar again with code I last touched about
ten years ago, and I will be doing this offline on summer vacation
from next week, so don't panic if there is relative silence until end
of July, when hopefully a branch and a more detailed roadmap / task
list will appear, and we can ask for helpers.

Some brief technical decisions:
* aiming for a code base which runs on 2.7 and 3.3 if possible
* _rl_accel.c and _renderPM.c will need to be ported, which is
significant work, but we won't go crazy and switch to Cython or
anything like that. Not sure yet if they will be separate source
modules or use conditional compilation.
* we will depend on 'pillow' not 'PIL'

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson