[reportlab-users] Report generation time is not optimized - ideas?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Jan 3 10:50:13 EST 2013

On 3 January 2013 14:54, J. R. Carroll <jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net> wrote:

> Hi Andy,

> In quick reply, just to cap off this thread in case someone else comes

> along, I was able to do *import _rl_accel*. This is the resulting output

> of dir():

> As an aside - am I correct in thinking that just having rl_accel available

> is enough to make use of it's benefits? I do not have to implicitly

> call/use it in my own scripts?

> Yes, that's sufficient. Our library does certain byte-level loops in C

when this is available.

I'd say your next step is to run various benchmarks and timed operations on
your embedded machine versus your usual one, and see if it's 6x slower at
everything. Does your app depend on
- database queries?
- reading files from disk?
- writing files (including PDF?) to disk?
- pure processing ?

Are you familiar with Pystone? Usage here...

>>> from test import pystone

>>> pystone.main()

Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 0.59
This machine benchmarks at 84745.8 pystones/second