[reportlab-users] SVG/EPS and ReportLab

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:07:24 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

> In the open source world, there is some code floating around to help

> convert SVG, but not from us. We hope that if people are using the

> framework for corporate documents, they will consider going the 'ReportLab

> PLUS' route ;-)

Yes, ReportLab is an excellent product, and I'm sure that ReportLab PLUS is
as well, and I would love for y'all to sell lots more of that so you keep
supporting ReportLab nicely :-)

But, just to document one of the kit-car DIY quasi-unsupported alternatives
a bit better:

- Inkscape is great for converting SVG into a single page PDF.
(Alternatively, you could probably just use the libraries it uses, but that
might or might not be more work -- I think some of them have Python
bindings.)

- The opensource pdfrw library can then take that single page PDF and allow
you to insert it into a PDF that you are generating with ReportLab.

FWIW, this is the default approach taken by rst2pdf -- when presented with
an SVG file, it will actually launch inkscape to create a PDF, then use the
pdfrw library to read that PDF into Python structures that Reportlab can
digest. An optional pure-python approach is also supported in rst2pdf,
using the svg2rlg library, which is probably adequate for simple SVG files.

Regards,
Pat