[reportlab-users] Python 3.x progress

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Dec 11 10:38:15 EST 2013

On 11 December 2013 15:00, Michael Hipp <michael at redmule.com> wrote:

> Will this work for us poor schmucks stuck on Windows? I was under the

> impression that only the binary installers would work for Windows (and still

> get the benefit of the C extensions, etc.).

No, not yet.

I don't have a detailed step by step plan as this is fitting into
little gaps between other projects, but roughly I am thinking...

1. eliminate need for pyRXP
2. switch branches so new code becomes trunk
3. see if we need to do any modernizing of setup.py, manifests etc -
we might have old code we no longer need to support older Pythons -
and generally get the build process as clean as possible on Unix-like
systems
4. prepare an alpha release which will include easy_installable
packages for Windows too and updated binaries.

Otherwise we might just spend time fighting with each compiler more than once.

Hopefully customer phone calls and other interruptions should drop off
soon and get us more time...
- Andy