[reportlab-users] SVG export in comparison to PDF?

Ilya Flyamer flyamer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 05:34:18 EDT 2013

I have an Intel Core2Duo 2×2GHz, 2 Gb of RAM. It takes about 1.5 min to
open the PDF file in Evince.
http://ubuntuone.com/0XCnhhgiCsIe7upYmonLGh - this is a link to the PDF
file, if someone wants to have a look at it.

I don't think it is possible to generate uncompressed PDF in
GenomeDiagram...

PS
Honestly, ideally I want to generate the same thing with 10x times more
data, but I suppose I'll have to do it overnight and no programme will ever
open such file.

Best,
Ilya

2013/8/10 Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com>

> PDF's page marking operators to draw curves and lines are fairly short

> and terse, and each page gets 'zipped' before saving. The XML

> equivalents are horrifically longwinded. So SVG is a bad choice for

> images with a lot of detail. My guess is that it's somehow

> disk-write-bound. Again, can we know the sizes, and what kind of

> machine are you on? We have found that a lot of cloud infrastructures

> have very poor disk write performance.

> There is also an option to generate PDF files without compression (I

> think you pass pageCompression=0 when constructing the canvas). This

> would be interesting as it will write out the PDF page marking

> operators 'longhand'; otherwise, each page is written out and zipped

> before saving. I would imagine the uncompressed PDF will be a few

> times bigger.

> So please let's have some size data. Also, how long does it take to

> display clearly in Adobe Reader, evince or whatever you use to display

> it?

> - Andy

Ilya Flyamer
Student of Molecular Biology Department