[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.7 accelerators

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Apr 4 18:01:55 EDT 2013

Lele, you are quite right, the file on PyPI is different to the one we
created and tested, and completely missing the subdirectory with all the C
code.

I will have to check with my colleague who uploaded it in the morning. We
created and tested all the packages, moved them from a hidden to a visible
directory on reportlab.com, then attempted to follow the instructions on
pypi. Right now I will see if I can manually put the right file in
place...

- Andy

On 4 April 2013 22:17, Lele Gaifax <lele at metapensiero.it> wrote:

> Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> writes:

> > Lele, what platform are you on?

> Debian Wheezy

> > We have been testing this every way we could think of on Ubuntu, Mac OS

> and

> > Windows for quite a few days. If I un-tar-gz that file, there is

> > definitely a src/rl_addons/rl_accel subdirectory containing the code, and

> > the top level 'setup.py install' worked for all of us on the above

> > platforms. I can only presume that in your environment the setup script

> is

> > somehow not finding that subdirectory.

> I'd find that rather strange, but we must be talking about a different

> file::

> $ wget

> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/r/reportlab/reportlab-2.7.tar.gz#md5=07f39af5aa569a16ce9a979b9a9e63a9

> $ tar tvzf reportlab-2.7.tar.gz |grep accel

> $

> $ tar xOzf reportlab-2.7.tar.gz reportlab-2.7/setup.py | grep accel

> def _find_rl_ccode(dn='rl_accel',cn='_rl_accel.c'):

> '''locate where the accelerator code lives'''

> RL_ACCEL = _find_rl_ccode('rl_accel','_rl_accel.c')

> infoline( '*No rl_accel code found, you can obtain it at *')

> infoline( '*http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html#_rl_accel*')

> infoline( '#Attempting install of _rl_accel, sgmlop & pyHnj')

> Extension( '_rl_accel',

> [pjoin(RL_ACCEL,'_rl_accel.c')],

> infoline( '!No rl_accel code found, you can obtain it at !')

> So, effectively the setup.py tries to find the C version, but it cannot

> find it and thus emits the message about obtaining it from the net.

> > The reduction in file size is possibly because we have been deliberately

> > removing obsolete documentation and examples.

> I bet that there's something that should be put back :-) At least on the

> archive uploaded on PyPI. Later I'll try to download it from rl.org

> site.

> Thank you,

> ciao, lele.

> --

> nickname: Lele Gaifax | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri

> real: Emanuele Gaifas | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.

> lele at metapensiero.it | -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420