[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.7 accelerators

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Apr 4 13:57:14 EDT 2013

Lele, what platform are you on?

We have been testing this every way we could think of on Ubuntu, Mac OS and
Windows for quite a few days. If I un-tar-gz that file, there is
definitely a src/rl_addons/rl_accel subdirectory containing the code, and
the top level 'setup.py install' worked for all of us on the above
platforms. I can only presume that in your environment the setup script is
somehow not finding that subdirectory.

The reduction in file size is possibly because we have been deliberately
removing obsolete documentation and examples.

On 4 April 2013 18:18, Lele Gaifax <lele at metapensiero.it> wrote:

> Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> writes:

> > The accelerator code has been inside the reportlab distribution for some

> > time now. I guess that is a spurious message we failed to notice.

> After

> > running 'setup.py install', can you do 'import _rl_accel'?

> No, and there's no trace on them being compiled, as happens with

> 2.6. Note also that reportlab-2.7.tar.gz is 1.7Mb, while

> reportlab-2.6.tar.gz is over 2.0Mb.

> I even tried to compile the daily_rl_accel.tgz, but

> a) the "make" way of compiling it fails with::

> $ make

> gcc -pthread -fPIC -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes

> -I/tmp/pp/include/python2.7 -I/tmp/pp/include/python2.7 @DEFS@ -c

> ././_rl_accel.c -o ./_rl_accel.o

> gcc: error: @DEFS@: File o directory non esistente

> make: *** [_rl_accel.o] Error 1

> b) its README.extensions mentions the usual "setup.py" script which

> isn't included

> > If not, I guess we will have a 2.7.1 coming soon ;-)

> I guess the same :-)

> ciao, lele.

> --

> nickname: Lele Gaifax | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri

> real: Emanuele Gaifas | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.

> lele at metapensiero.it | -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420