[reportlab-users] Issues related to setting parameters of graphs, lines, and rectangles, and they are not printing correctly

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Nov 28 17:38:14 EST 2012

On 28 November 2012 21:35, J. R. Carroll <jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net> wrote:

> I'm on my way out, and would be happy to compile all this information

> tomorrow morning, but I think I found the problem. Apparently, neither

> printer I was using (nor any printer I have access to) liked color.pink. I

> don't think it was ReportLab (and I'm sure you have more insight than I),

> but the grayscale handling at the printer just mucked everything up (where

> muck = some fancy tech lingo I can't think of right now). As soon as I

> changed the grid color from color.pink to color.black - the grid looks

> perfect - really makes it look like I know what I am doing (jokes on them!).

> I think that this might be falling outside the ReportLab domain, but!

> might you have any recommendations for handling color documents to a

> black/white printer? Do some colors print better than others - or is that

> really a function of the printer?

First question is whether the printer uses the CMYK colour model, or RGB.
High end ones for artwork tend to be CMYK, but for CAD I have no idea.
If it's RGB then some shade of red (or green or blue) is a good bet. If
CMYK, use magenta. It should be easy to try out.

Printers will tell you that they lay down overlapping, microscopic patterns
of dots at various angles to each other (a bit like polarised filters) to
achieve various colour effects. This may not work well with 0.1 point
lines. If you need to mix two inks to get that line, my hunch is it's more
likely to mess up.

Please let us know tomorrow!

- Andy