[reportlab-users] Issues related to setting parameters of graphs, lines, and rectangles, and they are not printing correctly

J. R. Carroll jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net
Wed Nov 28 16:35:17 EST 2012

Hi Andy,

I cannot for the life of me think that anything in our code could be

> causing a problem on the printer, as (as Tim has explained) we just put

> some line width instructions in the PDF file, and Acrobat Reader renders

> them. However it should be easy enough for us to whip up a

> (non-confidential) script to do this - tomorrow during the UK morning - and

> then we can figure out if it's a software issue, and/or share the code.

Well, the code that Tim wrote is more or less exactly how I am drawing my
grid (pretty darn exact). You might just want to try his and save yourself
the hassle! But before you do - keep reading!

Can you explain exactly how you are "sending it to the printer"? What is

> the operating system, the print driver and the printer?

I'm on my way out, and would be happy to compile all this information
tomorrow morning, but I think I found the problem. Apparently, neither
printer I was using (nor any printer I have access to) liked color.pink. I
don't think it was ReportLab (and I'm sure you have more insight than I),
but the grayscale handling at the printer just mucked everything up (where
muck = some fancy tech lingo I can't think of right now). As soon as I
changed the grid color from color.pink to color.black - the grid looks
perfect - really makes it look like I know what I am doing (jokes on them!).

I think that this might be falling outside the ReportLab domain, but! might
you have any recommendations for handling color documents to a black/white
printer? Do some colors print better than others - or is that really a
function of the printer?

-J

----

J. R. Carroll
Independent Researcher through Hurtz Labs
Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics
www.jrcresearch.net
Cell: (650) 776-6613
Email: jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net
jrcarroll at hurtzlab.com