[reportlab-users] Save PDF File to model using two views

Asif Jamadar asif.jamadar at rezayat.net
Tue Jun 28 09:42:01 EDT 2011

How can I save the dynamically generated PDF report into separate django model (database) as file.

The below code works fine for me

def report(request)

response = HttpResponse(mimetype='application/pdf')

response['Content-Disposition'] = 'attachment;filename=ANALYSIS_REPORT.pdf'

buffer = StringIO()

doc = SimpleDocTemplate(buffer)

#Create the PDF

doc.build(document, onLaterPages=header_footer)

pdf = buffer.getvalue()

myfile = ContentFile(pdf)

m = Report()

m.file.save('test.pdf', myfile)

response.write(pdf)

return response

This code will saves the PDF to separate model. Here the model is 'Report'. This works fine for me.

But problem is when I use different view to save the report into model. Here is the code which gives me a error

def analysis_report(request)

response = HttpResponse(mimetype='application/pdf')

response['Content-Disposition'] = 'attachment;filename=ANALYSIS_REPORT.pdf'

buffer = StringIO()

doc = SimpleDocTemplate(buffer)

#Create the PDF

doc.build(document, onLaterPages=header_footer)

pdf = buffer.getvalue()

response.write(pdf)

return response

def save_report(request)

report = analysis_report(request)

myfile = ContentFile(report)

m = Report()

m.file.save('analysis_report.pdf', myfile)

m.report_name = "Analysis Report"

m.save()

return render_to_response(sometemplate.html)

This will throws me error "expected read buffer, HttpResponse found"

However both views should return response